View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Norman Foster's tower in Philly and his tower in Calgary are so stiff and lack dynamic expression. It's static geometry multiplied & multiplied. Jeann Gang's tower here is like that but more ugly. It looks like Medusa's head rising up over the skyline. It's jagged and loud and does not say anything about the neighborhood. So, it says that it responds to giving more light, etc. per unit, but that shouldn't override it's overrall aesthetic to the city. It says that it relates to the forest? Really?! What a load of crap! It's jarring, and this would never fly in a place like Seattle where we have to go through multiple design reviews to show how it's massing and materials related to the adjacent context and larger context.

After several years of trying to convince the skyscraper heads in the Philly sub-forum that the CITC was an ugly, uninspiring monolith compared to the freshness, moderness and uniqueness of the American Commerce Center (as well as the potential of retaining and attracting a major company to Philadelphia), I'm finally happy that there's somebody on this forum who at least appreciates architecture and the aestethics that it's suppose to bring relative to a city as opposed to "it's over 1K ft tall and it has a spire so let's just build it" ethos that has plagued Philadelphia for several years already.

As for the "jeans gang" tower, personally I don't have a problem with it, but then again, since STL had traditionally been a mid-rise city (thanks to the Arch), that tower won't be the last within that area. I can see lots more mid-rises being placed in the near future and hopefully STL can follow in the same plans such as DC and SF. All three cities are of similar size and if SF and DC can grow, than surely STL can follow in the same pattern.