View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
7% of French Candian live outside of Quebec, There almost 600,000 Franco-Ontarioans, 250,000 Franco-New Brunswickers (Acadians), and another 300,000 in the rest of Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language_in_Canada
Well the French are the first wave of immigrants and both in Canada and in the United States birth rates were very high until they became more heavily urbanized in the early-mid 20th century. I wouldn't be surprised if the first 100,000 immigrants to the Thirteen Colonies had several million descendants.

I think a lot of American states like Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee were settled by the rapidly multiplying descendants of Scottish-Irish and German immigrants the initially settled along the coastal regions, more so than by first wave immigration.

Quebec got probably a few hundred thousand immigrants from the United States, Ireland and Britain by the mid-late 19th century, but by that point they were diluted among the base population of French Canadians that had multiplied to well over a million. I think the French Canadian population also continued to growth thanks to relatively high birth rates and low rates of emigration to western Canada while the British/Irish immigrants to Quebec were probably more likely to have low birth rates since they mostly lived in cities and were more likely to move on to western Canada. They probably assimilated a lot too, just like how about 1/3 of French Canadians emigrated to New England's mill towns and although many of those moved back to Quebec a lot of them assimilated.