View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 12:14 AM
ATX USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
A fresh wave of hysteria focusing on the wrong numbers and zero mention of the flat or falling ultra low mortality rate from any of the media.
2,913 active cases in Travis County, with a population of 1.275 million... that's 0.0023% of the population infected. That hardly qualifies as "skyrocketing" in my opinion.
The Statesman and other Doom & Gloom media outlets continue to frame their headlines as if this is the Black Plague part 2.

The other half is "crisis fatigue" where we're all just sick and tired of everything. The fear and hysteria surrounding "testing positive" needs to stop.

We're not getting a vaccine, and this crap isn't going away for a very long time. Trying to slow or stop it is a futile effort that's just going to continue to piss everyone off with a series of starts & stops & shutdowns & flareups, to say nothing of the economic damage its inflicting.

There needs to be self accountability on all sides here. If you're at-risk, then take whatever precautions you need. Stay home and abstain from things if necessary. Likewise for otherwise healthy people not at risk but who frequently are in contact others who are. Everyone else needs to just get on with life. The faster herd immunity sets in, the faster we can put all this garbage behind all of us.
Well, no. Check your math. You said "2,913 active cases in Travis County, with a population of 1.275 million... that's 0.0023% of the population infected"

But that's actually 0.23%. You may still think that's a small percentage, and that's really up to you. But it's also a 100 times worse than you made it sound in your post.

FWIW, I do agree with you that all of us should practice self-accountability. All day, every day. For my part, I'm definitely wearin' a mask!