View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Bourbon St. and the city when there's a convention or game going on, otherwise the Quarter isn't that cheesy. Royal, just one block south of Bourbon is night and day and much quieter and has more cafes and galleries. More my speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It's not that NOLA has tourists/conventioneers, it's that it seems to only have tourists/conventioneers, at least in the FC, downtown, and Garden District. To me, that's an important difference. If you visit Commanders Palace, how many folks are locals?

It's why SoHo feels like a "real neighborhood" while Times Square doesn't, even though they're both flooded with tourists. The former has locals, and it's easy to get away from tourists; the latter essentially functions strictly for tourists.
Yeah, I fully know what you mean. I lived in New Orleans for a few years, and the influx of "non locals" at certain times on many occasions throughout the year (Mardi Gras/Carnival, Jazz fest, Halloween, Southern Decadence, college football games, Super Bowl, etc. etc.) could get pretty annoying sometimes. But it was relatively easy to avoid the tourist crush by avoiding Bourbon St./Decatur St., for the most part. After living there for a bit, you definitely seek out and find the more "locals" parts and establishments in town.

Though, New Orleans is a tourist town too... always has been throughout its history, really. So, you take the good that it brings with the bad. And like JManc says, you can pretty much avoid all touristy stuff even in the Quarter. Most of the Quarter really isn't all that touristy at all (or at least wasn't when I lived there... but it's been awhile).