View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Developers Tell Condo Buyers: You Don’t Need To Bring Your Car
By Alina Dizik
Dec. 7, 2017 10:12 a.m. ET

At Lumina, a 42-story condo building in San Francisco, homeowners pay anywhere from $900,000 to $15 million for a luxury residence with a one-car limit per unit. Alternatively, homeowners can ditch the car, get a credit of $10,000 and rent one of the building’s eight luxury cars when the need arises.

The developer, Tishman Speyer, partnered with Audi on a pilot program called Audi at Home, in which residents can use an app to rent one of the building’s eight luxury vehicles parked near the valet area. Rates run from $12 to $22 per hour, and the fleet gets about 100 rentals per month . . .

Luxury developers are increasingly offering car-rental and car-sharing services, as well as creative parking solutions to their residents. Touted as an amenity to upscale buyers, these services benefit developers, too, since they reduce the size of parking garages and lower building costs.

“For developers, it’s a drain on economics” to build parking garages, says Todd Runkle, an Austin-based principal at global design firm Gensler, which specializes in commercial development. “We are in a transitory period to see how much we can reduce parking.”

Gensler is also designing some parking structures with level floor slabs that can more easily to convert to office space or residential living spaces once parking ramps are removed, he adds . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/develop...car-1512659525

My now decades old condo building has 3 or 4 Zipcars in its parking garage and I use them when I need a car. There are also other Zipcars in nearby buildings.