View Single Post
Old Posted May 6, 2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Considering future technologies, this doesn't suprise me, quite frankly.

What many don't realize is that China's population will have aged considerably by that time; so their economy will likely collapse, sending extra amounts of people to the United States. This is the same thing that will happen in the United States in the next decade.
I just watched a documentary about this...I think it was called the Demographic Winter. If that is not the name of the actual documentary, it is at least the term that economists and sociologists use to refer to what you are talking about. It is very odd to explain this to people because the population is rising, but that is just because people are living longer. There is almost no developed nation who has a population which is reproducing at replacement rates.

There is a lot of talk about how this is also the cause of our declining crime rates. The book Freakonomics talks about his theory about legalized abortion and easy access to birth control being a leading factor in the crime decrease. That seems like too simple of an answer to me, I think there are more factors to consider. But I digress. It is just that those crime declining stats were put in an article talking about the rise of single elderly living and I made the connection. The article mentions some short term repercussions that will affect and are affecting our lives. And this is before the collapse of two of the largest world economies. With the elderly living and people not reproducing, there is no one to take care of them and that puts them at great risk. You can read the whole article here: http://united-locksmith.net/blog/liv...-single-living

I really think that the pertinent information is in the Statistics section and "The Rise of Living Alone" section. The short term effects of this whole population crisis is a lot of unhappiness and even death. Then we will finally get the economic collapse, but it will be a rough ride for individuals before we get there.