View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 3:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
So much for the idea of advancement in trauma care, unless the nature of the shootings have changed. According to these statistics the shootings are actually becoming deadlier.
Chicago has closed A LOT of hospitals and treatment centers making the distance victims have to travel before surgery can take place much greater. This surely plays a role in there being no great difference since 2002.

I watched a documentary that stated Dr's in Chicago have saved a great number of lives that most likely wouldn't have been possible in previous decades due to medical science advancement and the vast amount of experience they have treating gun shot victims. I can't remember the hospitals but a few have Dr's who specifically treat gun shots to the head. There are so many variables at play with survival that I wouldn't eliminate trauma care as having a significant impact on survival rates because of statistics.

Any number of factors could contribute to the homicide rate being similar like increasing travel time to reach adequate care.