View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
2020 will not have the same rate of growth as 2019.
Most growth in Halifax comes from immigration and I believe some of that was interrupted in 2020. But what we end up seeing for a growth rate depends largely on how many people the province and federal government decide to let in. It's a big question mark right now.

In the long run (2-10 years) I am not sure why growth couldn't return to the old norm. The potential for growth may even go up if the US does not allow much immigration, or if the economy in NS does relatively well compared to other areas. I think that fundamentally, growth in Halifax is driven by the fact that more and more jobs can be moved around North America, wages there are somewhat lower than the US, and the area has a good standard of living and cost compared to the larger metro areas. Covid has not changed that and if anything might have made outsourcing to NS from the US easier as more companies have been pressured to adopt remote work.

The East Hants census division will be added to the Halifax CMA for the 2021 census since so many residents of that area are commuters. East Hants had a population of 22,453. So the Halifax-East Hants area with these new borders would have had roughly 463,000 a year ago. I expect Halifax will hit 500,000 in less than 5 years.