View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 9:06 PM
An Optimistic Realist

From I can guess, they all have their conservative sides.

NYC has been historically centrist with its own brand of Republicans, Democrats, and even Independents like Bloomberg. Some neighborhoods are liberal as can be like Greenwich, Tribeca, and other more gentrified areas. Some neighborhoods are also conservative, but not like Southern conservatism. The Orthodox Jewish communities are an example of this. But, until very recently, the city still functioned well with people who held slightly different political beliefs. However, that’s how I saw it appeared.

LA at one point was pretty conservative overall throughout the 20th century until the last few decades in which the pendulum shifted to more liberal means. However, I still see the conservatism here in bits in pieces. Like NYC, it isn’t as bad as Southern conservatism, but it’s there in the outer counties like Riverside and San Bernardino. Latinos, like many have stated, are conservative on many things due to culture and religion. However, they are liberal in other ways, especially the younger generation. A similar thing can be said about Miami

I don’t know about Chicago, but I guess it wouldn’t be that different. All three cities were historically ( and still largely are ) cosmopolitan centers where both conservative and liberal values coexist on a moderate level due to immigrant ethnic communities being alongside communities of Americans from other areas of the country. When you have that many different types of people under one roof, a more middle way is needed to have them all be involved and mostly get along with one another.