View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
Heritage needs to be debated.
Issues need to be made public
HTNS Fails in this. Most of their website dates back to 2010 - its not current, they have limited presence in social media, they are not actively engaging the media on heritage issues in a timely manner, nor are they pushing publicly for improved legislation.

Regarding working with developers, there appears to be no middle ground. by demanding 100% preservation they loose an opportunity to work towards a better development/heritage protection. 22 commerce square could do a better job of preserving some of the buildings, but by taking a firm position that they all must be saved, they have set them selves up to loose on smaller gains.

FWIW I read a piece in their newsletter bemoaning the loss of heritage homes and Estates due to the construction of the south end rail cut. Much research went into this, and it was interesting to discover what was lost, but that bit of editorialization about an event that occurred almost 100 years ago is a bit much, but sadly reflective of HTNS attitude.
Agree 100%. I wonder if the HTNS has any members under the age of 40? This would help to explain not only the very entrenched attitudes but also the lack of social media use/awareness. If there was say, a membership drive for young people, I wonder if this would change anything or whether the only real solution is to start a second heritage advocacy group that does what the HT is supposed to.

Also, a bit ironic considering the recent demolition at SMU:

Quote:
The Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia was formed in 1959 in response to the proposed demolition of Enos Collins' Halifax House Gorsebrook, an outstanding Georgian-style home that stood on the site of today's Saint Mary's University hockey rink (see photo above right). Those who formed the Trust were determined to arrest the random decimation of Nova Scotia's built heritage.
(From the HTNS website)