View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 1:35 AM
ハルウララ

For Reference, GNB Highway Maps:

http://www.gnb.ca/0113/maps/maps-e.asp

Completely agreed with Myles in terms of the provincially designated highways within the province, and the duplication of roads. As an example, how many roads lead to Miramichi? A lot of the roads are not used as much as they were in the past, and most are very treacherous to drive (the first that comes to my mind is Highway 17 from St. Leonard to Campbellton. Highway 8 from Bathurst to Miramichi isn't much better). The recent suggestion of doubling Highway 11 to Miramichi from Shediac is a scary idea, especially considering the demographic migration from the Northeast to the Southeast of the province. Why they would build a two-lane highway to what many would consider to be the middle of nowhere is beyond me.

Agreed with q12 in terms of the resurfacing Nova Scotia does v. the patching of PEI & NB. I recall driving over week-old patching on Highway 7 and chewing it up a bit, and this was in April. I know it depends on what type of asphalt is used and etc., but it just seems to crumble very quickly.

As far as tolls are concerned I would not mind two-lane highways being tolled, so far as they are in sensible areas. Tolling both Highway 2 & 1 in or around Salisbury, as Myles stated, sounds like a decent idea to me. There's easily enough room for a toll-area on the Salisbury side of that interchange. Another toll area may be Edmundston, although we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

In terms of rail, Myles is correct in regards to rates and times. I would enjoy rail service to Saint John, and I think it could be feasible if a decent Halifax route were considered. An hour and a half drive to Moncton is easy, but Halifax is roughly three, and for most people that's a decent drive. Training to Halifax would certainly be easier on some.

As for Acadian; I don't even know. They just seem to be running themselves into the ground.

Also, I know the highway talk could go into the Highways thread, but since this is decently regionally minded, I think we're ok.