View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Wow, I can see wanting to restore the building but I wonder why the tops of the columns were cut off - and how they will replace them, if at all? They were sort of the main feature... Also, why take down all the scaffolding after only accomplishing the demo?
The owner of the Tramway Building, Morris Strug, was complaining this spring about CD Plus/Tip-Top development, concerned that it would affect the heritage features of the Tramway. The minutes from a Heritage Advisory meeting include this passage: "He asks that if the proposed design [for the Tip-Top site] does go forward, that he be permitted to access the right of way [side alley] to help maintain and preserve his historically significant building and that it not cover up the light well in a manner that would make the building less attractive or possibly damage it."

So it SOUNDS like he's not the kind of owner to just start destroying his own building. I pray that's the case, because it looks like an unfinished concrete cube now. Completely ruined. I can't imagine the city would allow this in a conservation district either, but who knows. Perhaps it will all be reconstructed in good time, and the removal of the facade has to do with facilitating something going on next door.

If anyone knows more, it'd be great to hear.