View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
So there you go... we should feel lucky that they are willing to build there (and profit from it), because they are giving us "life", "jobs", "growth", and "renewal"... as if this were somehow different from all the other businesses out there who build stuff or provide services for profit. I had no idea that this was now an acceptable argument.
I don't really think developers "owe" the city anything. It's up to the municipality to create the rules, and the developers must abide by them, but the idea that the developer should have to hand out goodies to placate the neighbours is, in my opinion, basically just a form of kickback or corruption.

Building housing is how you get affordable housing. The idea that there's a special alternate form of housing called affordable housing that needs to be included in every single development is mostly harmful. There are higher and lower end buildings and neighbourhoods, and buildings tend to move downmarket over time. Maybe if this is built it'll be affordable housing in 2050.