View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
This is worst than the Grand Canyon University fiasco. It's worst because voters ask to widen this strip from 4 to 8 lanes. Since when did the City Council and the small loud nimby's have the right to override a voter approved plan? If this is a standard, the city might as well build a crosstown freeway at Grant Rd. (voters rejected that).

"The Tucson City Council is planning to ask the Regional Transportation Authority for money to continue the planning process on a project to widen Broadway Boulevard." - I'd like to see the RTA sue the city and the nimby's that supported this. COT's response : RTA isn't recognized even if it's approved by the voters.

"Kozachik represents the area being discussed, and has said he wants businesses and residents to make the final design decisions, and wants that decision to be made before Thanksgiving." - Steve K. wants his way , not the voters way. He wants business and residents make the final design decision not the engineers or architects. And he wants it before Thanksgiving. He's the boss. Let's see, I'd like to have an underpass and a cafe on top of it besides my neighborhood. And the neighborhood across me wants an overpass with a disco ball hanging under it.

Tucson is a lawyer's paradise.

How about shutting down Rio 'good ol boy' Nuevo.
Hmm, maybe a bit of overreaction? If you look at the _intent_ of the approved Broadway plan it was to increase capacity of the roadway and remove the last bottleneck on Broadway into downtown. The thing is, those traffic volume increases never happened. Why then, waste taxpayer money on acquiring the property and laying asphalt that isn't needed. This is a perfect example of a nimble city goverment using data to create a smarter proposal that solves the problem the voters told the city to solve. Additional transit lanes means nobody in a car gets stuck behind a bus, and buses gain reliability and as a result, ridership. In addition, the streetscape isn't an asphalt wasteland so it encourages walkable development in a section of the city that already has some walkable neighborhoods.