View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I think Los Angeles has this feel, despite its relative lack of skyscrapers.

But as far as the original question goes, it depends on what aspect of urbanity you're talking about. I'd say Chicago simply because the downtown is huge with tons of skyscrapers, even in Asia Chicago would be one of the better skylines. This may not directly correlate with urbanity for some people but definitely helps.

Yea, still Chicago or maybe LA. Miami could be a contender
I mean LA is definitely large. But it is just so unique and even alien to anyone from most other developed countries, that it's even hard to describe what it is to most foreigners. It's an enormous built up area with 20 million people, but from a foreign perspective, has essentially zero pedestrian activity. A town of 200,000 in Japan or Western Europe would have a healthier, more active pedestrian urban core than the LA basin has.

From a Western European or East Asian perspective, Chicago is definitely sparse in regard to pedestrian traffic (compared to peer cities like Rome, Barcelona, Osaka), but it's still recognizably a city. And a very monumental city at that. The first impression is that it's huge. the 2nd impression might be that it's not very crowded.