View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
electricron:

This is truly one of the more idiotic things I've read in a long time. How many roads are operating without any public funding?

DC's Capital Bikeshare system recently had it's two millionth ride, all in less than two years. Our system has also introduced tens of thousands of people to the benefit of bicycling, many of whom purchase their own bikes and become avid, committed, cyclists.

It has been stated many, many, times but the goal of transportation investments isn't to earn a profit but to improve mobility, something Capital Bikeshare and the other bike-sharing systems have unquestionably done. Even so, Capital Bikeshare nearly covers its operating costs, something certainly no roads in the DC region even come close to doing.

Capital Bikeshare Nearly Operationally Profitable
http://dc.streetsblog.org/2012/04/20...ly-profitable/
DC's Bikeshare floored me. In comparison to Toronto's BIXI it left us on the floor.

Wide area for stations, Plus the infrastructure to promote bike use with a substantial amount of bike lanes in the City. This is something Toronto will never understand you have to step with both feet and offer safe route for people to take with the stations.

I also agree the crying of funding and money is poor. Roads loose more money than any form of transport but yet people always seem to forget that. Transit can at least turn a profit in some instances and routes.