View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
The Alt is an extreme example because they basically left the portage bank entrance disconnected and floating on its own, away from the main building which was a...strange choice. It's like an old Hollywood movie set.

I have to say I'm surprised and impressed over the choice of location for this hotel...it is basically in a wasteland of parking lots. But hey, one building at a time. In the future that area could be a critical connection between the forks, exchange and downtown. I'd love to see a couple more of those lots eaten up in the next 5 years.
To be fair what happened with Centrepoint is partially to blame on the city. They should have either been more strict with the Mitchell-Copp facade being better integrated/building maintained, or just given up and let them tear it down. It would have been a bigger cost with little functional benefit to integrate the facade more, and the city didn’t make them – so they didn’t.

I think the Hyatt location is pretty brilliant. The building has been long underutilizes and right now because of demand in that area, the land isn’t all that expensive compared to rest of downtown. In 5 years that area could see a lot a development and more activity, so with it’s prime central location it makes a lot of sense – they’re set up immaculately for the future, especially since they bought the land.