View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Also there will always be people driving manually.
I can agree with this statement if we were to add "just like there are still people who ride horses."

Almost all the inefficiencies in automobile travel - such as stop lights, wide lanes that waste space, proper following distances, traffic jams, and even wasted consumption of energy because of inefficient accelerating/braking - all these are a result of manual driving. They come with the territory.
Municipalities wanting to make their cities less congested and also wanting to save money will leap at the chance to make their denser parts 'autonomous only' zones, where the city doesn't need to maintain super-wide roads or hugely expensive traffic signals (though crosswalks would still need to be maintained). They could even take space from the unused city streets and convert them into parks, landscaping, separated bike paths, anything you want.
The advantages outweigh the cost so much that I have a hard time believing that manually driving your car through city streets will be allowed at all in the future - except maybe in the 4th of July parade, after the horse-drawn carriages in a sort of 'march of progress' sort of thing.
Interstate Freeways are also prime pickings to make autonomous-only. They are limited access, hugely expensive to maintain, and are extremely vital to the cities they serve. Too vital to leave to chance.

I can see things like 'scenic byways' maintained as 'manual driving zones' for recreational purposes. If your future autonomous car is also equipped to be manually driven, then you can have it drive you out of the city and out to the byway, then take over for the scenic parts - the fun parts, the parts where people actually enjoy driving a car.

Other than that though, I see car driving becoming just like horse riding - a rich person's hobby. The advantages of a fully autonomous network of roads are just too many to allow for the few 'hobby motorists' who want to drive everywhere.