View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 5:58 AM

True, pre-2004 the MWC didn't have a team that stuck out, but they've been consistent in producing two to three good teams a year. The WAC has had one consistent team, with a few showing signs of success, but then faltering out. As far as I can tell, the MWC is on a surer footing.

For the TV contract, its true their situation is far from ideal, but they get a decent amount of money for it, and with BSU they might even get a few games on CBS, due to the higher value of the conference. The more the MWC can win(and it looks like there are at least three consistent programs with a few more improving) the better their TV deal will start to look. Besides, UU, BYU, TCU, AFA, and CSU seem to be recruiting and doing just fine despite the games not being on ESPN. UNLV is improving, but Wyo, SDSU, and UNM are all rebuilding projects.

I'd lump Fresno in with Hawaii, SJSU, and Nevada. They've fallen a long way from where they used to be, and seem to be ok with being mediocre. Talent doesn't mean anything when its not coupled with the right attitude. La Tech on the other hand seems to be committed to improvement, and coupled with their talent should be a respectable team in a few years if a BCS school doesn't swoop in and poach Dooley. USU and Idaho are making gains, but it will take a long time to separate themselves from the stigma attached to those two programs.

While all is not lost in the WAC, I feel we would be much better off in the MWC, because they've been consistent post 2004, and the leadership seems committed to maintaining that level, and the leadership of the lower teams seems committed to improving their lot. I wish I could say the same about the WAC.