View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:54 PM
Registered Drug User

Probably the most defining feature of any discussion of Canadian accents is the fact that the differences are so slight as to be unnoticeable to lots of people and even contentious to those trying to nail them down geographically. Still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Ah OK, then in that case it's 100% a Romanian accent that we're hearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If I had no idea where Bianca was from, heard her speak for a few minutes, and was told she was from Marin County, California, or St. Paul, Minnesota, I'd believe that
There is 0% Romanian in her accent. Here's some Romanian-accented English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNCzB0fUsS0.

Her accent is distinctive enough from American speech that you could easily point it out to a layperson who would otherwise identify her as American. The short A in the word "slams" exists nowhere in the US, where it would be varying degrees of "slayams."

Though, granted, we're obviously talking about subtle differences in pronunciation and cadence that aren't as prominent as with other accents. But I think she sounds identifiably like a GTAer, and other GTA people on this thread seem to agree with me.