View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:14 AM

Noir La Crescenta Raymond Chandler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for sharing this with us HG.
Kind of eerie that you were digging up the detritus of the 1934 flood so many years later.
__

I've been trying to find information on the 'Van Deusen Estate', that was also noted on the 1934 flood map.
If you turn your head to the left and squint , you can see that it was located on 'Castle Road'.
That makes me wonder if the road was named after the estate? (that is, if the estate resembled a castle)

So far, I haven't come up with anything.
__
It finally occurred to me
I guess I assumed that everybody on here has read all the Raymond Chandler one could find.
But have y'all?
The La C flood made me think of one of Chandler's early works- maybe "Nevada Gas" wherein the hero leaves a bad guy cuffed to a corpse in a flood ravaged and abandoned house.
And although I looked at all the old pages of lanoir before I joined up, I don't recall any study of Chandler locations. [but maybe Geiger's house on La Verne Terrace has been ?] Usta be folks ran Chandler bus tours to visit existing buildings that Chandler used in his stories- often under disguised names, such as the town of Rialito.
Chandler was hyped as seeing LA with an 'X-ray eye'
For my money , that was a pretty good description of most of his work, especially pre-WW2