View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 11:18 PM

Richfield Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
I'm always a bit startled when I see a photo of the Richfield with the arch as it appears most photos were not taken from that angle.

e_r had posted a photo with the arch way back at the beginning of this thread! (On page 5!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

USC archive

above: This a great view showing the arch.
All 8 photos here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...0&postcount=88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossc View Post
any excuse for another picture of the richfield building. This dick whittington shot is labeled 1929, which is around the time the building was completed. The panels above and below the windows look lighter than in later shots. I'm not sure whether it's the lighting or if they were darkened sometime afterward.
The article I linked in my post talks about how the building was constructed and the numerous materials used to construct it. Such as this paragraph or two:

The building’s two-story underground parking garage was also one of the first ever installed in an office complex. The building itself was a giant U-shape, actually two wings united by the façade on Flower Street.

The Richfield Building’s exterior dark green tile only appeared black from the sun’s reflection off the mirrored surface. Real 14-carat gold leaf was contained in the gold surfaces lining the windows and sculptures. “The gold ornamentation is of terra cotta coated with a layer of finely pulverized gold, held in suspension in a transparent glazing solution,” per the Architectural Record.

The entrance featured Belgian black marble, Cardiff green stone trimmings, Russian bronze metalworks, Benedict nickel hardware, rubber tile on the floor, and black lacquer-coated woodwork. Six high-speed, etched metal elevator doors and two freight elevators were installed beginning April 20, 1929, the first on the West Coast.