View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 6:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^^

Boring in the sense of the built environment. But a lot of people quite frankly don't care about that. Things like street life, architecture, even culture or diversity... a lot of folks don't care about that. And there are people that just do not like people... those do exist. They would rather be in the burbs to avoid the masses in droves. There are some folks that like a quiet areas as well, and there are just those folks that like having a yard.

Now there are plenty of folks that DO care about some of the things I stated, but there's an audience that doesn't quite frankly.

We obviously like cities, hence why we are SSP members and follow developments, but we have to think outside of our niche community and look at the bigger picture, which is reality. These are truths I'm preaching btw. Its just reality.

Now if they want some excitement, in an area that has some of that stuff, they drive there or when applicable, bus or rail.

If people really hated the suburbs, we wouldn't see growth in the burbs or their continued expansion in some cases. There is a demand to sustain these communities. Somewhat why inner-ring suburbs are doing quite well, and adding residents. Just check out the DC suburbs for example or certain counties. Adding residents. Likewise with suburbs in Salt Lake City or Minneapolis or Chicago or even Boston.
It's a *hugely* popular notion on SSP that most suburbanites are prisoners of where they live and would rather be in the inner city if they could afford it, but I don't believe it has any basis in fact. I live in a suburban area and I've never actually had any of my neighbours say they wish they could live in the inner city. If I broaden my scope the only people I ever hear wishing for life in the inner city are teenagers and people in their early 20s. This seems to evaporate for the most part by the time people are in their late 20s. In that, those who prefer the inner city (who do exist of course in appreciable numbers) are already there and have organized their lives in order to be able to live there. But the people who are in the burbs at that point are also mostly there because that's their choice.

Older people who move to the inner city also exist of course in decent numbers but when they do it's because they're ready for something different or in another phase of their lives (post-divorce, empty nest, retirement, mobility issues, etc.), and not because they've achieved their dream of *finally* being able to afford to move into a more central part of town.