View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
I worked at Lockheed for a year or so after high school. I worked in Building 310, at that time (and maybe still) the largest open, unsupported interior in the world. In the thirties, (the story goes) they filmed an episode of 'Tailspin Tommy' at '310' and by opening the huge rolling doors at both ends of the building, were able to fly an airplane through the building! Very cool. I've never seen the film but I have seen this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIZzkq5Y8q0

Oh and, no, neither Lockheed nor Burbank Airport show up on my 'near-pristine, 1942 Shell map of Los Angeles' (which I don't let anybody touch). But they are back in my 1945 Renie Atlas of Los Angeles City and County. (which I do sometimes let people touch)
I too labored away after highschool ( in the Lockheed metal treatment n paint depts) -mid '69 into mid '72- to pay for my 1st car- A-1 was the behemoth structure that had the airport terminal wrapped around the perimeter-Surely THE Earthly version of Dante's Inferno. Later got into a modern bldng up HwdWay to complete a "stock sweep" on the L1011 materials-yeech- quit angrily when they tossed me into the dangerously toxic work of the dread "washrag detail"- Just drove right through the guard gate and escaped to decompress in Palm Springs--