View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 11:08 PM

We do agree on that. But reconfiguring the terminal block properly would be extremely difficult while trying to keep the airport open at anything like it's normal capacity. Adding/reconfiguring runways would be a more easily accomplished without disrupting operation. This would be especially true if some landfill could be added on the southern edge of the airfield.

One thing I did notice in the RPA report is that the location of downtown Manhattan, and it's skyscrapers are an issue with approaches on the 13 axis. I hadn't thought of this. This could also be solved, but it would require rotating the axis of the 13-31s 20-25 degrees counter clockwise. This would also help disentangle JFK from LGA. I played with this a little on Google Earth, it's possible do to this, and put four parallel runways on that axis. It would require the above mentioned landfill. This puts the axis of all the runways over the harbor, not Manhattan. It also puts them pretty much right over the EWR airfield and not it's approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
JFK is just poorly configured and the use of space is poor.