View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:22 PM

Like Makid said the potential location for the museum has bounced around a lot the past few years. There has been a page on the Utah Department of Heritage of Arts about the museum for the past several years, and it looks like it was updated relatively recently, and it would appear that planning for "the Museum of Utah" on the Capitol Complex is well underway. It seems that this will also be the location of the archives. You can check out the overview and the single page brief below:

https://heritageandarts.utah.gov/utahartifactsandart/

https://heritageandarts.utah.gov/wp-...L-01.27.20.pdf

The important part is:
"A GATHERING PLACE ON THE UTAH STATE CAPITOL CAMPUS
Thanks to the vision and support of Governor Gary R. Herbert and the Utah State Legislature, Utah’s vast collection of artifacts and art will be protected and shared in a new museum on the Utah State Capitol Complex. Planning has begun for this new building that will include collections storage, exhibition, education and gathering spaces."

"THE TIMELINE
• In 2019, the Utah State Legislature provided funding to begin the planning
process for The Museum of Utah.
• Planning and design will continue in 2020 with a draft of the Interpretive Plan
available to the public this winter.
• Completion of The Museum of Utah is anticipated in 2023."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
There is the Pioneer Museum as well, just up Main Street near the Capitol.

I know that there has been talk in the past, years ago. The problem is that there were some in the Legislature that wanted the Museum in Fillmore, others in Salt Lake, near the archives, and the others that wanted it at the Capitol building or the Fair Park.

With the Archives setup to move to a new building, I personally think that this would be a great opportunity to incorporate a State History Museum into the Archive building.

I haven't heard anything recently (last 2 years) but I will keep an ear out.