View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 3:10 AM
Fourth and Main

CCC Update:
A look at the Fifth Floor Courtyard at the 12-storey CCC, as it nears completion.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...be77.image.jpg
Courtyard by David Rolfe

There are only 41 comprehensive cancer centers in the nation and this is the only one in the region. It's a research cancer center, for those who want to know. There are around 250 cancer research projects currently underway at the center. This facility will attract people from around world seeking advanced medical care. Winston-Salem's CCC is ranked as one of the nation's top 12 cancer centers.

West End Millworks: The Olio Glass Studio

Source

IQ District Update:

The first medical students will move into the IQ District in March 2014. In February 2014 we should have an update on when the Wake Forest University School of Medicine and their medical library will begin renovations/construction on their new building in the IQ District in downtown Winston-Salem. Wake Forest University School of Medicine's adaptive reuse project will likely take 18-24 months to complete. That should be fun to follow on the forum!

Downtown Library Update:

19 architects are interested in designing the new downtown library. Hopefully we will have renderings from all of them soon. This was Fulk's rendering, which I liked. I'm not sure if Fulk resubmitted another proposal or not?

Source

Hilltop House South:

Source: Calloway Johnson Moore & West

525@Vine:

Exterior lighting was installed on the building and is now turned on. The lighting gives the building an awesome appearance.

I love the skyline reflections on this building! The metal boxes with wires are the lights, but these photographs are a month old (before the lights were wired).

Source

Stevens Center PAC Renovation:

The Stevens Center has officially asked for incentives and this is moving forward much faster than I thought it would. Hopefully, this will move to construction soon!

760 West Fourth:

I've heard site demolition (demolition of old retaining walls, light towers, and pavement on site) is set to start this month. Maybe it will join the construction list too in a few months?

Cycling Update:

Downtown Winston-Salem will soon have around 22 miles (around 35 kilometers) of bike paths, when current construction projects are completed. These will connect downtown workplaces/entertainment to neighborhoods, historic districts, colleges, museums, entertainment venues, parks, and more. A fact some people may not know: Winston-Salem actually has a city department focused on walking/cycling infrastructure with its own planner on the city payroll. This was from the city's cycling newsletter from that office.

Interesting Notes:

Unemployment in Winston-Salem's MSA is 6.9%. Among the lowest of the 14 metro areas in the state.

Andrés Duany said downtown Winston-Salem is the best downtown in the region and praised it heavily.

See Krispy Kreme's Doughnuts on Parade downtown.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 3:46 AM.