View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
It's Berkeley Pepperell. It's turned out nicer than its counterpart on Gladstone Street IMO. There's no out front parking lot, it's built to the street while maintaining the porte-coche which is a necessary nuisance for an assisted living facility (ambulances, shuttles, ect).

I've had family in Berkeley before and the places are beautiful and well maintained. It's unfortunate they have a less than ideal urban design but providing housing for people who require home-care is an essential service. They end up looking like hotels but the design, I assume, has safety reasons behind it. I like to think of it this way. The building is adding 75 senior care units to the market. A lot of these units will be rented by seniors that currently live nearby. This will vacate some condos/apartments but most importantly some will be selling the houses they've owned for decades. These older houses will be sold to young families. Some could even be bought up by developers paving the way for higher density projects if they're well located.
Ah, I didn't know it was a seniors' home. That's good, and needed, but still, why do these kinds of facilities get stuck with second-rate architecture?

Having said that, you're right, it's a lot better than the Gladstone building.