View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Hopefully these images will all show, even if you have to refresh the page once or twice.

I have a mystery Julius Shulman subject today. I don't know what or where this building is/was. This is "Job 2510: Union Service Center (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1958".
NB. I've omitted one of the black & white images in the set as it's duplicated in color.

The only clue to the location is this reflection in the windows, which I've enlarged and mirrored. It shows a branch of Earl Scheib's Auto Painting, complete with neon globe sign. There are pictures of the globe online, but other than vaguely saying "Beverly Hills", none of the ones I looked at gave an address. The 1960 CD lists Earl Scheib's Beverly Hills branch at 9158 W Olympic Boulevard, but I can't see our mystery building at Historic Aerials.
It's really remarkable. The photos are beautiful.

Is it for certain it was in Beverly Hills? Wondering because I found a reference to the Union Service Center in 1961 at 5250 W. Imperial Highway. It was the United Auto Workers Local 887 meeting hall.

Earl's ad from 1958 shows he had a location at 5231 W. Imperial.

Could that be it?
5251 W. Imperial Highway via Googlemobile looks like the building reflected in the windows...

Last edited by Noircitydame; Mar 13, 2016 at 12:23 AM.