View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Does anyone remember this post from a year ago?

As far as I can tell, we still haven't found a photograph of the exterior, but earlier today I found a treasure trove (pun intended ) of various movie stars
playing within it's piratey confines.

As mentioned on the back of the 1944 postcard, "where the swabs throw bottles at iron pirates" (see below)

What a fun night!

Martin_Pal posted some interesting Pirate's Den ephemera here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=25480

__
An expensive one, too I bet!
I have a guidebook from 1943 called "Sinning in Hollywood" geared to servicemen, with descriptions of select LA and Hollywood nightspots, including the Pirate's Den, which it describes as:

"One of the most unique nightclubs in America. Run by a group of Hollywood personalities including Rudy Vallee, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Fred MacMurray, Ken Murray (showman of The Blackouts], Tony Martin, Johnny Weissmuller, and Jimmie Fidler [gosspip columinst], it features a brig from which all ladies have to scream their way out, cutlassed one-eyed waiters, a bottle throwing gallery, and one helluva good time. Better come prepared for anything. No crepe-hangers allowed. Shows 9 and 12,

The original owner crossed out the entry and wrote in the margin: NIX. Keep out. $6.00 4 drinks" (its the only such notation in the booklet).