View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 7:17 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
Friends of mine who have spent a lot of time there or are from there generally have a low opinion of the city. They're not terribly specific, they just say it's sh*t. I've always found this peculiar.

What's your opinion of the city and why do you think people might not like it?

Yeah, there is definitely quite a bit of that here. Most of the people I've met like to complain about it, a few were even baffled as to why I'd leave Toronto for London. No idea why (bleak weather perhaps?), but the British can be a rather self-depreciating bunch. The lack of civic self-esteem isn't quite as dire as it is in Toronto, but Londoners often still seem to at least look up to their peer cities (New York, Paris, etc). And while it is true that it's not as visually impressive as some of those, I'd say it's a lot more interesting and exciting (and generally more "livable", too). Aside from the shit weather, the only notable problem I have with the city is the surprising pedestrian-unfriendliness. Still though, easily one of my favourite cities in the world (and objectively, one of the "greatest").