View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

ebay

Beeman refers to the sign on the side of the building, "Beeman & Hendee Infant and Juvenile Wear,Toys".

This is an odd little snapshot what with the glare and the position of the man. But what is that on the street that looks as wide as a boxcar....or am I seeing things?

___
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
I have the sense it may be a large wagon just coming out onto the street from the right and making a sharp turn to the right to continue on up the street away from the camera. I think you can make out the hooves of a team just under it and the front carraige is stressed all the way around to the right so it looks like the left front wheel is on the short side of the wagon when it is actually over on that side because of the sharpness of the turn. anyway that's my take.
Michael may have it correct, but I think it more likely the large delivery wagon is turned perpendicular to the sidewalk to make some delivery off of the tailgate. No teamster (driver) is visible and turning the front wheels that sharply makes a wagon very unstable (tippy) and would only be done at very low speed. Also, I think if entering the roadway from a side drive the wagon couldn't be square to the sidewalk with the team parallel the sidewalk if done in a forward motion. The driver has positioned the wagon similar to what a modern driver (teamster) does with a semi-trailer backing up to a loading dock.

Last edited by Engineeral; Jun 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM. Reason: fixed omitted word