View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars-man View Post
I can easily imagine getting off the train and taking the pleasant walk up 21st Street, the East Mall, or 24th Street to get to the campus core. Just like thousands of campus shuttle riders, as well commuters on the No. 7 bus and others, are already doing.
Sure. Pleasant.

Yesterday I walked 20 minutes down Allen and Pinnacle to Walsh Tarlton at Terrapin, where I waited 15 more minutes for the #30 to take me to this meeting. In the hot sun. With no shade. Fuck if I didn't almost give up and walk back to the office.

Here's a tip: if all you're doing is measuring by what the people who are willing to take the bus today are doing, you will fail.

This is more of a general lesson than a specific retort - since there's no way to go up Guadalupe this time around (dedicated lanes were the whole point, and there's not enough potential traffic now that commuter rail ruined everything to justify taking away lanes on Guadalupe to get dedicated space), but still - keep it in the back of your head - while existing bus passengers are important to provide a good base to ridership, if the system is not attractive enough to reach out to those who won't take the bus today, the system will fail.

I'll be crackplogging this later today from my desk at the awful suburban office. If anybody else was there, I was the guy who asked the question about singletrack on Manor.