View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I'm a Hamiltonian myself and I have never seen the St. Clair area before so this is all new to me. Great stuff! Yet it's so strange the St. Clair area is literally steps away from a shady area of Hamilton, Main St East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
looks like a nice place. classic streetcar suburb.
This was indeed a streetcar suburb, though the "Hamilton Street Railway" is all buses at the moment. Main St. cuts right through this area, it's not a shady area at all (you have to go 2 or 3 blocks further north to King) but the retail on Main St. is devastated so it looks bad, so it's not surprising people don't notice this area. However, step off Main St. and immediately you'll see the neighbourhoods pictured above. Main St is a 4-5 lane one way road with 60km/h speed limit, so SSP forumers can guess why the retail is in such a sad state. Hopefully one day very soon rails will be back on Main St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy View Post
This is a very typical Ontarian Edwardian neighbourhood, I think. For example, my parents' neighbourhood in Oshawa looks very similar (built around the same time).
You can see the Edwardian elements in some of the porches especially. Lots of tudor as well, and a couple Victorians that must have existed before the area was surveyed. There are a few other areas in Hamilton that have houses that look like this too. Westdale is one. The wide boulevards are very rare in Hamilton though, so far I've only seen them in this area. Most of the city is jam packed on narrow streets.