View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 6:02 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
You know, the more I think about it, the more the old WTC site looks more and more like your typical 1960s "new urbanism" design -- huge tracts of land disrupting vehicular flow with uninspiring architecture. I must admit the Twin Towers weren't much to look at. What they stood for and represented was more important than their appearance. It seemed kind of detatched from the rest of Lower Manhattan from an urban planning standpoint.

Plus, this new design really is growing on me. Sure, it would've been neat to see the Twins rebuilt, in some form or another, but we have what we have, and it's a ton of office space replacing what was lost. It's a hell of a lot better than that twisted piece of architectural garbage they initially proposed.

As I see pics of this thing (One World Trade Center) ascending into the sky, I am getting excited and cannot wait for its completion. Two WTC will be quite remarkable as well when it is completed. As I see the renderings with the existing skyline as a backdrop, in addition to the restored street grid, I see a very nice blend of architecture about to take place.

Call me asinine, but that's my 2 cents.
That is exactly what the original WTC complex was, personally I did like the architecture of the towers and the reasoning for the thin windows. But then again I am a huge fan of Minoru Yamasaki, although I will say the WTC towers was not his best work, it was just the biggest version of a tower that he designed in Seattle which is much more beautiful.

As for the new complex, the new Tower One isn't really doing anything for me, it is basically just gonna be a tall glass office building, but I am really liking the design for Tower Two which will probably become my favorite within the complex. Personally I can't wait to see this area back up and running again. I will say I was impressive with how fast the towers are finally starting to go up.