View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Wait, what bike trail or whatever is that going to connect to? Will it connect to the Panhandle Trail? If so, that would be so freaking awesome, I could bike from Carnegie almost (if they ever extend the trail another mile) to downtown. Riding a bike to downtown from Carnegie is basically impossible or you will die from getting ran over or die from having to bike up and over Mt. Washington or the West End.
It isn't connecting to a trail on the West End side, but the nightmare of the West End bridge sidewalk + rats nest of horrible roads & bike/ped crossings waiting for you on the West End side will be solved. Once you get into central West End, Noblestown Rd has wide shoulders that could almost be bike lanes...and then it's pretty easy through Carnegie to the Panhandle trail. I say all of this as a heavy road cyclist so your comfort levels may vary, but at least the worst pain point of the whole thing will be relieved at West End and finally have a nice connection to the rest of Pittsburgh's river trail network.

If it's an attractive enough bridge crossing and trail system right into West End, it should do wonders for the business district. In the warmer months, it could attract a lot of leisure riders into it. I could see breweries and cafes popping up over there a la Millvale, or how Roundabout Brewery's beer garden attracts a ton of bike traffic in Chateau.

Last edited by AaronPGH; Mar 24, 2024 at 6:01 PM.