View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 1:58 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
I've asked this before, and I'll ask it again. Has DND expressed any interest in the notion of giving up their land? Because if they haven't, then it doesn't matter how ideal we think the site may be, it's probably not going to happen.
As with any possible site, the only way to get such answers is for the municipality to be involved (having the province involved would be even better). They are in a position to contact the responsible people. Even stating that a stadium could be put at the Shannon Park site is purely speculation. In the case of the DND Willow Park lands, I would think that Peter MacKay would be the one to speak to and he is a Nova Scotian.

I am just stating that the DND site would be large enough and in a good location (in my opinion). I am not in a position to do any more. I and others have contacted the Mayor and Councillors but as of yet there has been no one in power who has been willing to push the idea of a stadium through. There is no harm in any of us stating what we would consider to be a good location, just as you have stated that Shannon Park would be a good location.

If you look at the current Hamilton Pan-Am proposal, they have looked a various sites. One that they are currently considering is owned by McMaster University and has been set aside as a research park. This didn't stop it from being considered as a possible site.

Since we all have some knowledge of the Halifax area, there is no harm in considering various sites and pointing out the positives and negatives. Who knows, maybe someone in a position to get the ball rolling will consider these sites. For now the best we can do is keep contacting people in power in order to try to get them involved.