View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
This is what I would like to see. How many parking spots does the Halifax Forum have? There are also office buildings close-by that would have empty parking lots during the evening and weekends when events are being held. There are also hotels in the downtown core that could have shuttles to events. Then there are strip malls and the Superstore that could allocate some spots for events.

This is the most environmental friendly solution. I am not an environmentalist but I don't believe in having thousands of parking spots surrounding a stadium in the suburbs.
It may be the most environmentally favourable solution but knowing land use bylaw's and DA's like I do; I suspect there will need to be parking on the same site. I'm not sure if the act would allow them to tie parking to other sites in the event of a DA or Development Permit - since typically in the Peninsula Bylaw the parking needs to be provided on site (unless specifically exempted). This is why I was suggesting trying to tie the two sites together; because then one could argue that they were one site with one use (some sort of civic related use).

If my assumption is correct and their hands might be tied a bylaw amendment could probably be done to overcome this; but I don't think they'd go for grabbing parking off othersites not owned by HRM in the DP or DA. That being said; it wouldn't stop those sites from leasing out space when an event was on because that happens all the time during stampede for sites near Stampede park and with limited enforcement resources; unless a complaint is launched - we don't usually go after them (that I know of).