View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
I think HRMxD has provided some development certainty in the core, but everything outside of it-- which must go by the traditional DA process-- it's a much different story. Outside the HRMxD zone, I don't think it's rare at all. The front cover of MetroNews is another example -- the latest Wellington proposal is being strongly opposed by NIMBYs. I bet it'll also die, like the last one.

The reason why NIMBYism is so effective outside the HRMxD area, is that we have zoning and planning rules that haven't been updated for almost half a century, so they offer no incentives or accommodation for more recent planning objectives -- density, density bonusing, etc-- and more modern development proposals.
Yeah, but that's non-conforming with the zoning, so that's a different issue. It bet that in most cities, a developer wouldn't have even bothered to bring it forward at that height. It probably will be quashed, but I don't think the outcome would be different in another city. (One difference with HFX and other cities that I've found is that developers are constantly bringing forward proposals in blatant excess of zoning. Then when they're shot down, we cry NIMBY. Skye is like the uber-example.)

But you're right in that the uncertainty around rules makes this possible, because sometimes these projects get approved. And the frustrating counter-example is that developers can do everything right, and still get their projects killed if a small group of people decided to raise a fuss about it.

But I think I have to brush up of my knowledge of local zoning before I get any deeper into this, though... the limits of my knowledge are being reached.