View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
But that's just it. The developed world, for the most part, doesn't want desperate people. The number of young, well educated/skilled people looking to emigrate is finite and those people are increasingly looking elsewhere. In order to plug the oncoming demographic hole, the US will likely need to bring in those 'desperate' people. Other smaller countries (Australia, NZ, Canada, Sweden, etc) facing the same demographic challenges will have an easier time mitigating low TFR with the type of migrants they want.
I don't disagree that the sheer number of skilled people interested in moving from developing countries to developed countries is destined to shrink, but I still think that's some ways off in time.

At this point there are still more qualified people who want to move to "the West" than "the West" is prepared to let in. And this definitely includes the U.S. BTW.

And regarding the U.S. and its allegedly "tainted" image relative to other countries, it's a common perception in certain circles (often as a political point or strategy) but I am not sure that really pans out very much in reality.

Even through the most turbulent episodes of its history the U.S. has always been a migration magnet for millions of people around the world.

For example even when the U.S. had a highly conflictual relationship with post-revolutionary Iran, with propaganda there labelling the U.S. as the Great Satan and the stars and stripes routinely burned in the streets, tens of thousands of Iranians were still immigrating to the U.S.

It may seem odd to some, but an "anti-immigrant U.S." is still a highly alluring place to immigrate to for millions of people around the world.