View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 8:53 PM
BANNED

$11 million in apparent savings, versus yet unknown total costs for infrastructure upgrades to connect this distant school to the city sewer/water system, with the addition of long-term maintenance costs that will most certainly be higher compared to having the school more centralised.

It is instances like this when I wish the federal government had more involvement in urban planning, to ensure municipalities are developing sustainably and in a way that fosters future economic growth. Moncton needs a downtown high school, as schools are an important factor in stimulating residential development (which, in turn attract commercial).

This is wishful thinking on my part, but perhaps a responsible provincial government, in the near future, could downsize the teacher, bus driving, and associated staff and student populations at 'Royal Oaks High', closing off portions of the school to access and electricity -- and invest in a downtown high school most students in Moncton would attend.

The relocation of Moncton High School is so depressing, not because it's a loss of heritage for the city, but because it's a self-inflicted economic wound. It's frustrating that the province would harm the municipality, when it's the revenue from the municipality upon which the province depends.

I wonder what kind of traffic congestion this will create?