View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 5:20 PM
Closed account

I'm sorry Steeltown...I'm not meaning to argue with you at all, but I just have a hard time with these arguements from the city.
They always say "industrial builders don't want this or that".
Yet they don't seem to mind in London or Waterloo or Toronto or Ottawa.
Industrial developers have gone crazy snapping up pieces of land identical to QEW and Fifty Rd all along the QEW.
Look at the huge building Paelleta built at QEW and ??(somewhere in burlington, not sure of the exit).
Same in Oakville and the 403 through Oakville.
More office buildings are being built right now in St Catharines at QEW as you come into town.
403/QEW interchange in Burlington, same thing.

I don't buy the city's garbage anymore. They've always got an excuse to allow more homes or box stores and NO real investment or REAL taxes to be generated for our dying city.

I'm no fan of the highway-style development model, yet I realize if we're going to have these highways built, let's at least use them properly.
We didn't with Linc, 403 Extension, we aren't with Red Hill and now we're even wasting the QEW - possibly the easiest highway in Canada to make money off of and we might even find a way to screw that up.

Not meaning to rant, but this is crazy. I hate the debt we're racking up in order to build all these highways. I at least want to see well-paying jobs and industrial development be the result.
We've been lied to for decades and told that "this next highway will be the one".
The lie continues and so does the massive debt load.