View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineerding View Post
And you would pass those saving right to your tenants.

Right?
As far as I can tell he wouldn't have a choice. That's how the market works. One unit with a full kitchen vs one without. How could he charge the same with all else the same consideration?

Like, how?

Theres a mindset out there that corporations and people who "control the means of production"(eh) have all the control. In reality, there is some truth to that but more so consumers usually have more say in what we get. Businesses fall because they don't meet customer demands(Sears, Kmart, ToysRus) and others gain because they offer what people want(Uber, Amazon, Walmart). Same with an apartment. Sure, there are forces beyond what customers can demand, but there isn't some overlord controlling rent. My dad's rental sat empty for nearly 4 months. So guess what he did? Instead of losing money every month he lowered the rent from 1,800 to 1,600(or 1600 something, I forget the exact amount). He rented it out within two weeks. If I am looking at for an apartment in say a city of 2 million people, how many options do I have? Thousands. I have a choice. I don't think thousands of landlords and developers are meeting secretly and agreeing to a monopolistic pricing system.