Thread: Suburban Europe
View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Eh... No. The main reason most people don't live in places where that can be done is that after the 1920s "urban" planning took a different direction. Laws, taxes, fees, ... , have been anti-urban in much of the west for a long time. Modernist suburban planning is still the norm in Stockholm at least, and it has nothing to do with how people want to live. The only study I know of about how people actually want to live (in Stockholm) showed about 45% want a house of their own, 45% urban living and about 5% the modernist highrise 'burbs that have been (and still are being) built.
That would mean 50% still prefermodernist suburbs.
Anyway I'm rather sceptical to this "urban living" ideas, there are many areas with traditional XIX century urbanism in Europe with half empty streets and very few shops/cafes ifany because they are too far from the center and not popular enough. New Urbanism seem to ignore changes that happen in human lifestyle in the last 100 years, they seem to think that if we build like they did in XIX century Paris or XVII century Italy people would start to lead similar lifestyle which is quite naive if you ask me and I don't know many examples where it actually worked.

Quote:
People DO want to live where the lifestyle of walking to cafes and shops is possible, but there's a huge shortage of such places. The market has not provided, it has been skewed by planning ideology and laws aiming for sprawlburbia.
You can have those in modernist districts too, even if prefab technology didn't allow for too much commercial space you can still build some free-standing structures for this purpose.