View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Although as some commentators of that article said, for the wheel as a tourist attraction itself, it would be better placed either in NJ across the river or in Brooklyn Bridge Park. In the last case, it would bring astonishing views of the New York Skyline, The Brooklyn Downtown and Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. Also the Wheel itself would offer an iconic view from Manhattan. That's for the views and the potential as a major tourist atraction, I also understand that one of the goals is to help develop Staten Island and draw tourist out of the typical places.
-
I think the best ground views of the city are from Weehawken or Green Point. But being so close to the skyline, you won't be able to see very far in the direction of all the tall buildings when you're on top of the Wheel. Meanwhile, from Staten Island there is enough distance from the city that the closer buildings don't block the further buildings. You'd also be able to see very far in most of the 360 degrees, which wouldn't be possible from the "Gold Coast" of NJ or BK+QNS.

I think Staten Island would be the perfect place for panoramas from 600 feet. This Wheel would be a great boon for the Island, and I would love to look out my window and see it every morning. Like I've said before, though, I think the investors may lose money on it.