View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:19 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

MPS, Economic Strategy consultations, Library updates

CBRM is developing an economic strategy integrated with the MPS and zoning rules.

CBRM hires consultant to meld economic strategy with new planning rules

The plan being developed is called CBRM Forward. It will be a 2-year project to develop the plan, beginning with a website launch on April 6 and virtual open house April 14. What I don't know if this will be for current residents only, but I will definitely be following it.

CBRM council votes down funding for new library design study

Harbour Royale Development proposed a $32-million library for Sydney's waterfront, but CBRM council voted down a design study, saying the cost was too high. (Harbour Royale Development Ltd.)

This is a frustrating one. There's been a lot of kicking the can down the road on this, and a lot of cost-only thinking that threatens to kill what is a much needed building. Much of the increased cost, up to the building material crunch anyway, was because of new accessibility rules requiring a larger floor space to properly serve the library's intended purpose.

I watched the council meeting in January, and the only ones who seemed to talk any sense were the councillor for the downtown area (I believe it's Eldon MacDonald) who brought up the increased tax revenue from the associated developments, which were being paid for with private money, and Mayor MacDougal who reminded everybody this wasn't a discussion about building a fancy new building, it was a discussion about replacing a library (a municipal service) that was housed in a badly outdated, crumbling, poorly functioning, highly inadequate building. They kept getting hung up on the increased operating costs which would 1) be offset by taxes when the neighboring land is occupied by privately owned buildings and 2) were less/sqft than some of the current satellite locations, significantly less than a couple of these. Basically, if there isn't a new building for the central library somewhere, there won't be a central library, only satellite locations. (/rant)

Anyway, within the article, they claim the waterfront location isn't dead, but this is a major setback as they can't even ask for funding without determining the actual estimated building costs of this (or any) design in this (or any) location.

Parentheses added by me to emphasize the issue.