View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
Are the sidewalks open on Chestnut and 15th? I haven't been over there recently, but that development has really been a kick in the teeth for pedestrians who have to use that area -- especially since every stage of this has moved so slowly. I recall Kenney coming into office saying he was going to work to protect pedestrian access through construction sites, but I don't think we've seen anything on that in his first term.
There were hearings last year about a City bill authored by Helen Gym that wanted to make sidewalk closings hard to get and much more expensive and I don't know what has happened, if anything, to that bill. The build trades council and some developers spoke against the bill saying it would drive the cost of construction up.

I think this sidewalk issue points out an interesting dynamic that takes place on this forum, most posters are pro development (build it!!!) and sing the blues about red tape and some requirements that make building in Philly more expensive, but then also want to have safety standards tightly enforced and are often for adding more requirements, like open access to sidewalks (if NYC can do it, why can't we?).

The problem is how to have a bill that covers 15th & Chestnut where sidewalk access is dearly needed but not cover other areas where its not such a big deal. The devil is in the details. What about out at 23th & Market, are the sidewalks important out there? And since most new laws don't include a sunset provision once they are passed we are stuck with them.