View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This picture seems vaguely familiar, but I've searched the thread for "pigeon hole" and "pigeonhole", and found nothing. Is that a '53 Buick just going in? (Let the argument commence ).

Ebay

Some more pictures from LAPL with captions taken straight from that site:

Pigeon Hole Garage.
Under construction at Wilshire and Flower is a six-story garage in which an elevator will lift automobiles to the desired floor and park them in "pigeon hole" stalls. Blue Diamond Corp. is furnishing materials for the structure scheduled to open late next month. Photo dated: September 8, 1953.

LAPL

Downtown Pigeon Hole Parking Garage dedicated.
City councilman Ed Roybal (arrow) speaks during the dedication for the Pigeon Hole Parking Garage (background) located at 644 South Flower Street, at the intersection with Wilshire Blvd. The new type garage was built by Standard Stations, Inc. A hydraulic lift picks up a car and carries it to a parking space. Photo dated: November 5, 1953.

LAPL

Parking garage, downtown.
View of the fully-automated Pigeon Hole Parking Garage located at 644 S. Flower (at Wilshire). Photo dated: November 7, 1953.

LAPL

Pigeon Hole Garage car elevator.
A man controls the elevator that lift automobiles to the desired floor and parks them in "pigeon hole" stalls at the Pigeon Hole Parking Garage located at 644 South Flower St. Photo dated: November 7, 1953.

LAPL

Is this one solution for the parking problem?
The fully-automated Pigeon Hole Parking Garage at 644 S. Flower (at Wilshire) may be the answer for solving the parking shortage. Photo dated: July 13, 1965.

LAPL

Further reading on la.curbed:

Downtown Did Automated Parking Garages in the 20s and 50s
I can't believe they only have a six inch curb 5 story's up, I wonder how many hopped the Curb?