View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
How do you folks like this new look of the Back Bay? For over four decades it had only two giants, and now there is a third one, so I wonder how easily people are getting used to this new skyline. I was living in the Boston area when the 554 ft 111 Huntington was completed and for a while it looked a little odd. This Four Seasons is much taller (742 ft according to Wikipedia), yet I am finding it easier to accept than 111 Huntington. Perhaps 111 Huntington's proximity to the Pru was the problem for me.
First of all, the building itself is incredible and great for Boston so let's get that out of the way.

In terms of the skyline effect, it looks the best from the West, such as the pictures I just posted from the Fenway neighborhood. When it lines up with the Hancock and Pru the Back Bay skyline really shines. From the East it really depends on the angle, because there are some like the Longfellow Bridge where this building is bunched up with or even somewhat behind the Pru. It actually makes a once-perfect vista somewhat clunky. From many others it doesn't show up at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I love it, and say bring on more! I'd love to see a 650-footer to effectively split the difference between 111 Huntington and 2 Pru and Four Seasons.
There is supposed to be a 544' on the corner of Mass Ave and Boylston, which is basically comparable in height to 111 Huntington and should balance the end of the skyline from a lot of angles.

Right now the biggest loss is the cancellation of the 625' Copley Place Tower. I'm still praying that one gets revived. Google it, click on images, and weep.