View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
If we are so concerned about history then Jerusalem Warehouse would be more historical.
I don't think this is a question of more historic, or less historic. I think that Morse's Teas has achieved a level of historic merit greater than that of Jerusalem Warehouse. It's been painted as Morse's Teas for many many many years now, and that's what people know it as.

Also, if you think about it:
Built in 1841, for David & Edward Starr and Co., and informally known as Jerusalem Warehouse. then became the property of J.E. Morse and Company Ltd. in 1910. That's 69 (tee hee) years.

The Morse's Teas sign was obliterated in 2013. That's 113 years associated with that name (granted, it was part of NSCAD for a while, but still was painted with the Morse's Teas name).

It's also part of the city's collective memory as Morse's Teas.

I think Jerusalem Warehouse is a ploy by the landlord to make painting the names of new tenants more palatable: "See, guys, it's changed names before... Jerusalem Warehouse and then Morse's Teas, and now Jo-Bob's Emporium..." it's harder to argue against changing from Morse's Teas to something new without the context of previous name changes.

I think it should be re-painted as Morse's Teas, AND allow Jo-Bob's Emporium, or some other illustrious tenant affix its corporate brand to the exterior. No, to Jerusalem Warehouse, though.